[Coral-List] Discussion on the compensation for coral reef damage in Egypt

Observatorio Pro Arrecifes Coralinos icri.colombia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 11:26:54 EDT 2016

Thanks for the many emails sent to me describing my comment as "Great
input..., it has interesting insight". I agree that coral reefs are so
vauable that by adding a dollar amount will be always excluding some
ecological, social and economic values. That is why, it should be
expressed as minimal estimates. Some asked me for the full paper, I
had other two books that are also in spanish that I should publish in
the english version but for that I would need funding:

Galvis, N.H., 1998a. Creación de la Contabilidad Ambiental de los
Arrecifes Coralinos como instrumento de manejo. Memorias del Seminario
Nacional de Política, Ciencias y Tecnologías del Mar, October 26-30.
CD-Rom CCO-COLCIENCIAS.

Galvis, N.H., 2002. Análisis de Multicriterios para la concertación,
formulación, gerencia, seguimiento y monitoreo de Proyectos
Ambiéntales Complejos." Colombian Book Ed: Javergrafics 150 pags.

In order to alleviate poverty caused by the deterioration of coral
reefs, it is needed to consider the number of people affected and
their loss on minimal wages e.g. tourism operators and fishermen.
Although, according to Claudio in Egypt, ther are not fishermen in the
coral reef areas so they do not catch groupers, snappers and the rest
of spp. related to coral reef fisheries. For recent updates anyway
fishermen and fish salers should be interviewed to know from where
they get the products sold to the tourists. As stated in the following
paper http://www.publish.csiro.au/?paper=MF01158 even for evaluation
of conservation effectiveness CPEU should be studied inside and
outside of the no take areas and compare the baseline information
before and after the evaluation of the coral reef damage when
estimating the compensation formula (*years).

The involvement of local fishermen in the co-management of fisheries
resources is critical to the success of conservation. In fact, the
citizen science lead by us in Colombia is based on the direct
communication with fishermen through RENOVO the network of volunteer
observers of the coral reefs, to follow their activities.

> In the Observatory Pro Coral Reefs, We agree with the words of Dr.
> Richmond (Organizer of the ICRS 2016) "It is better to prevent than
> to cure".
>
> In Colombia, we are requesting the Colombian Government to reconsider
> dredging close to a resilient coral reef that we have estimated at
> least an environmental costs of US$81 million dollars and guide them
> to evaluate and choose from other alternatives that may have lower
> environmental costs. Please join our petition by adding your name
> email and country in the following link:
>https://secure.avaaz.org/es/petition/Gobierno_Colombia_Presidente_Juan_Manuel_Santos_Salve_y_Proteja_CoralesBahiaCartagena_Varadero_Colombia_ArrecifesCoral/?aoNYTkb

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis
Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes / Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Nacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife (RENOVO)

Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia