[Coral-List] Active mortality event at Flower Garden Banks

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Fri Jul 29 19:12:16 EDT 2016

Good Day All,

This is an interesting event.  I noted earlier that I was on the EFGB two
weeks ago and there was no evidence of anything amis.  As G. Challenger
points out, there has been no evidence that Macondo contaminants have come
close to the FGBNMS.  Antidotal evidence suggests that freshwater outflow
from floods in the Atchafalaya Basin have reaching the FGBNMS for most of
the summer.  As described by FGNMSB staff, it is easy to imagine a bucket of
toxic materials being opened and slowly dispersing with the currents.  A
puzzle with potentially disastrous outcomes.

Quenton Dokken, Ph.D.
President/CEO
Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.
qdokken at gulfmex.org