[Coral-List] PeerJ article published: Rapidly increasing macroalgal cover not related to herbivorous fishes on Mesoamerican reefs

Melanie McField mcfield at healthyreefs.org
Thu Jun 2 14:07:43 EDT 2016

Thank you Nicole, that's just what I was about to say.  There isn't one
magic bullet solution we need to work on all solutions concurrently.   Come
to our   *Session 62: A Critical Examination of Ecosystem Response to
Herbivore Management  * to discuss further ...

There are many devils and hopefully insights in the details that we can
explore further.

Melanie

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Nicole Crane <nicrane at cabrillo.edu> wrote:

> Just need to say - this is a great paper with important points, BUT, lets
> not get simplistic about the world (I don’t mean the paper, I mean this
> conversation), and certainly not reefs.  This paper does not mean top down
> doesn’t exist, not that it isn’t important.  Both top down and bottom up
> are in action (some great work has illustrated both), and work together to
> shape ecosystems.  Obviously, we need to take care of the fish AND the
> s**t.  Also - since when was working with fisher people any less
> politically charged than talking about s**t?  Witness the tuna fishery.
>
> Anyway, this is indeed a good discussion, and thanks!
>
> Nicole
>
> > On Jun 2, 2016, at 7:47 AM, Risk, Michael <riskmj at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out. Important work.
> >
> > I have never been a fan of top-down control, feeling it lacked
> definitive work…in the meantime, top-down gave “managers” an out for
> decades. It is politically much easier to say “look after the fish” than
> “don’t throw s**t in the water.”
> >
> > And now we see the results.
> >
> > Mike
> >> On May 31, 2016, at 7:13 PM, Pawlik, Joseph <pawlikj at uncw.edu> wrote:
> >>

> >> Greetings, Coral-listers -- this just-released paper is the latest to
> join a growing tide of studies that run contrary to the widely held view
> that herbivorous fishes control seaweeds on Caribbean reefs:
> >>

> >> Suchley A, McField MD, Alvarez-Filip L. (2016) Rapidly increasing
> macroalgal cover not related to herbivorous fishes on Mesoamerican reefs.
> PeerJ 4:e2084
> >>
> >> https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.2084
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Joe
> >>
> >> **************************************************************
> >> Joseph R. Pawlik, Professor
> >> Department of Biology and Marine Biology
> >> UNCW Center for Marine Science
> >> 5600 Marvin K Moss Lane
> >> Wilmington, NC  28409   USA
> >> pawlikj at uncw.edu; Office:(910)962-2377; Cell:(910)232-3579
> >> Website: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/index.html<
> https://mail.uncw.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
> >> PDFs: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/pubs2.html<
> https://mail.uncw.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
> >
> > Risk, Michael
> > riskmj at mcmaster.ca

> Nicole L. Crane
> Faculty, Cabrillo College
> Natural and Applied Sciences
> www.cabrillo.edu/~ncrane
> onepeopleonereef.ucsc.edu
>
> Senior Conservation Scientist
> Oceanic Society
> www.oceanicsociety.org

Melanie McField, PhD
Director, Healthy Reefs for Healthy People Initiative, Smithsonian
Institution
1648 NE 47th St, Ft Lauderdale FL 33334
Cell: 754 610 9311   Tel: 954 990 8842
email: mcfield at healthyreefs.org
www.healthyreefs.org

Join the International Society for Reef Studies
www.fit.edu/isrs/