[Coral-List] Biodiversity Townhall at ICRS

C. Harvell cdh5 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 10 09:58:45 EDT 2016

Dear All:

Please join me for a showing of Fragile Legacy, our 30 minute award-winning documentary celebrating the masterpieces of the Blaschkas and their links with the oceans of today. I’ll also do a brief slide show of some of our best Blaschka matches. Town Hall Wednesday, 22 June 2016   Time: 11:30 - 12:45   Location: 306 A/B (https://sgmeet.com/icrs2016/workshops-townhalls.asp)

To give a sense of the project, here is a write-up from Science Friday (http://www.sciencefriday.com/articles/a-tale-of-two-glassworkers-and-their-marine-marvels/).
 A serialized version of the chapter in my book (A Sea of Glass) that relates the ecological threats faced by our “Blaschka Biodiversity” will appear soon in Natural History. The goal of both the film and the book is to use masterpieces of glass art to awaken concern for our desperately imperiled ocean biodiversity. People unfamiliar with our ocean critters can be captivated by art that translates nature for them. Love to have discussion about how we can use art for more traction on Conservation.

My best, Drew