[Coral-List] Coral reefs’ biggest threat is not what you think

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 16:56:18 EDT 2016

   I just read the original article, and I recommend doing that.  I found
no statements in the article that support either the title of this Market
Watch article, or the first sentence: "Coral bleaching is not the main
culprit behind the damage currently being suffered by coral reefs around
the world, according to a new study."
    These statements that the article says these things appears to be
incorrect.
     If I missed a statement in the original article that says that fishing
has caused greater damage on coral reefs than coral bleaching, please point
it out to us, I apologize if I missed it.
     Parenthetically, their Extended Data Table 2 lists the fish biomass at
the various areas in the Indo-Pacific that they studied.  There certainly
are differences between locations, makes a bit of interesting reading.
     Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Durwood M. Dugger <ddugger at biocepts.com>
wrote:

> Coral reef health in the business news:
>

> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/coral-reefs-biggest-threat-is-not-what-you-think-2016-06-15

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Earth's hot streak continues with warmest May since at least 1880.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-just-phoning-now-may-193634823.html

The political hurdles facing a carbon tax- and how to overcome them.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/26/11470804/carbon-tax-political-constraints

Solar can power more than 100 times America's current electricity needs, a
new report finds

http://www.theclimategroup.org/what-we-do/news-and-blogs/solar-can-power-more-than-100-times-americas-current-electricity-needs-new-report-finds

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope