[Coral-List] surgeonfish spines as weapons

Capman, William capman at augsburg.edu
Mon Jun 20 10:56:39 EDT 2016

It is not uncommon for tangs (e.g. Zebrasoma and Paracanthurus species)
kept in aquaria to slash at other fish (usually other tangs, but also any
other fish that are aggressive toward them) during disputes.  Often there
is no damage to the other fish, but I have had clownfish that were
aggressive toward tangs (protecting clutches of eggs) occasionally get
slash wounds (one female percula clown came close to losing an eye, which
prompted me to move that pair to a different aquarium without tangs).  I've
occasionally seen slash wounds on other tangs too.

Also, I was once slashed by a Paracanthurus when moving it between
tanks...it was like a cut from a razor blade.

None of my observations above are from the wild, but such observations are
commonplace for those keeping tangs in aquaria.