[Coral-List] Teaching Mega-Fauna to eat Invasive P. Volitans

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 09:42:20 EST 2016

   Hi Damien,

   I believe that most here would agree that attempting to mitigate the impacts
   of lionfish by having divers remove them is a good idea as long as care is
   taken  not  to  harm coral reefs in the process. The next step in your
   "eco-solution" is a bit more complicated . . . and controversial.  Should we
   be feeding lionfish to other marine life in the hope that this would induce
   some level of natural predation or biocontrol?   I'm not qualified to answer
   that, but you might find some useful insights in this paper and rebuttal on
   the subject.
   http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0021510#s2
                https://peerj.com/preprints/141/
   I'd like to add one more thought. I am concerned about the growing trend
   throughout the diving industry that in effect encourages provisioning as an
   acceptable way of promoting human interaction with sharks and other marine
   wildlife.  Instead,  shouldn't  we  be  inspiring divers to develop an
   appreciation and concern for conserving and maintaining the natural world?
   After fifty years of diving I'm still exhilarated by experiencing the wild.
   I don't need or want to convert diving into a series of contrived underwater
   circus acts. If we want more thrilling interactions with sharks and other
   marine life, let's do what is necessary to protect and conserve them and the
   overall health of their increasingly imperiled marine ecosystems.
   Regards,
   Steve Mussman
   Sea Lab Diving
   www.sea-lab.com