[Coral-List] Barrier reef bleaching

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 01:15:11 EDT 2016

On this subject, another paper's abstract includes these statements:

"Surprisingly, no human health or marine ecosystem impacts were associated
with this Australian dust storm event."  "While we have not yet seen any
soft coral disease outbreaks on the Australian Great Barrier Reef similar
to those observed in the Caribbean and while this particular fungal
population was non- or weakly pathogenic, our observations raise the
possibility of future marine ecosystem pathogen impacts from similar dust
storms harboring more pathogenic strains."

The discussion includes the statements that:

"The present report of fungal spore masses in Australian coastal waters
following a dust storm is unprecedented."  " There has not been a similar
event reported by the North Atlantic CPR survey (20 to 60°N) over the past
70 years, the U.S. CPR survey in the Northwest Atlantic (over the past 30
years), the Southern Ocean survey over the past 20 years, or the North
Pacific survey over the past decade."

and

 "This initial work claimed A. sydowii to be the main causative agent of a
widespread outbreak of sea fan disease in the Caribbean, and increased
influx of African dust was proposed as the source of the coral mortality
(17). Subsequent physiological and toxicological work suggested that the
strains in African dust and as sea fan pathogens were distinct, hence
raising the possibility that African dust was not the source of the
pathogen, although the dust still could have played a nutrient enrichment
role to allow fungal pathogen proliferation (18, 19)."

Pretty amazing event in Australia, though.

Hallegraeff, G., et al.  2014.  Australian dust storm associated with
extensive *Aspergillus syndowii* fungal "bloom" in coastal waters.  Applied
and Environmental Microbiology 80(11): 3315-3320.

Cheers,  Doug