[Coral-List] Using fluorescence to improve automated annotation

Oscar Beijbom oscar.beijbom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:16:40 EDT 2016

Dear all,

I wanted to share our latest article on automated annotation of coral reef
survey images, published today in Scientific Reports:

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep23166

In this paper we show that broad-band fluorescence images, captured
with a modified
off-the-shelf camera <http://www.nature.com/articles/srep07694>, can be
utilized to improve the recognition accuracy of automated annotation
systems. This is interesting not only because it makes annotation work, and
thereby reef surveys cheaper; but also because it establishes a link
between fluorescence spectra and reef taxonomy.

All data is available at:
http://datadryad.org/resource/doi:10.5061/dryad.t4362, and all annotations
were done using: coralnet.ucsd.edu.

We would love to hear what you all think about it!