[Coral-List] Personal Care Product Pollution and its Threat to Coral Reefs

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Thu May 5 10:35:04 EDT 2016

Cheryl, I commend you for getting the word out about the special session
at the ICRS meeting on effects of personal care products.I have long
suspected they are harmful to coral reefs. It is indeed a subject worthy
of further research. I know you are aware that sunscreens are banned
from use in protected reefs areas in Mexico and preliminary studies also
have shown their affect live corals. The problem we face in the Florida
Keys is that the reefs are governed by the department of Commerce, which
as  you know oversees the NOAA Marine Sanctuary program. As such do not
expect to see these products banned in the Keys if shown to be toxic. .
Preventing sales of these products would have a negative effect on the
Keys economy that depends so heavily on snowbird tourists that
especially need protection from the sun. Banning of sunscreens would
certainly have a negative economic impact on the tourist/swimmer trade.

I think you as a Dept. of Commerce employee are being especially brave
publicizing this special session. I wish you and Craig Downs good luck.
Hopefully the session will stimulate some straightforward bio assay work
to determine which and if sunscreens affect live corals. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor