[Coral-List] Personal Care Product Pollution and its Threat to Coral Reefs

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri May 6 11:11:21 EDT 2016

Hi Gene.

I have also been horrified by the research that shows the impact of (some!) sunscreens on coral health. In fact, I don’t use any of them any more.

I don’t know anything about the complexities of the US Government, and am content to remain ignorant. But I think we need to get the focus off Cheryl, in case someone decides to shoot a messenger. She is, after all, simply offering to chair a session, which right now does not exist.

The impact of chemical such as sunscreens on coastal reefs may well be profound, as though they needed yet more impacts. This is, however, relatively easy to manage, and there is a role for dive shops and local managers to play. For one thing, if I remember correctly, the European sunscreen formulation is not as harmful-so US manufacturers could simply stop using benzquinones and copy the EU model…

Mike