[Coral-List] SPAM R2: Re: using bubbles to remove CO2 from reef water

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat May 7 12:58:11 EDT 2016

Dear Julian,

I probably am barking up the wrong tree, but we seem to be running out of trees! By that I mean who is left for us to appeal to? I don't know about Malaysia, but throughout the Caribbean many locations impose a marine park fee and I'm totally in support of that approach as long as the money is properly allocated. I know for example in Bonaire, the marine park organization Stinapa does an outstanding job utilizing marine park fees to educate local residents, visiting divers and to protect their reefs from local stressors.. The reason that I keep harping on leaders of the industry is that in my opinion it would be more expedient to get the message out from the top down rather than having to work our way up one diver or group of divers at a time. Imagine if certification agencies, equipment manufacturers, dive shops and resorts all aggressively endorsed "the whole reef conservation thing" including addressing climate change related issues. For example, I've seen how many divers adopt PADI mandates with a level of enthusiasm approaching the enactment of a religious sacrament. Their rules and standards are considered beyond reproach. With time being of the essence, it seems to me that we should continue to press on all fronts including what may prove to be a futile attempt to harness the prestigious power of industry leadership in all its forms. I know that many are saying "good luck with that", but what's left to do at this point, but to keep on trying?

Regards,
Steve