[Coral-List] Why corals' resilience are in decline

rnharag rnharag at uol.com.br
Tue May 31 14:55:09 EDT 2016

Hi Martin,

Grateful for the contribution!!! His description clearly shows the interconnection that exists in all living things in the sea, especially in coral reefs structure, and the importance exerted by Diadema in maintaining that structure. In other words, it's thus that everything is kept in balance, prospering while not occur, loss or dysfunction of some important element that can disrupt the entire environment.

This interdependence of all living things in the sea, repeats itself in the level of the Earth and the Universe. That is why the CO2 excess in our atmosphere is causing the imbalance of the electromagnetic radiation of our Planet. The coral reefs that would be perennials, now die by Global Warming, but mainly because they are weakened.

To eliminate coral bleaching and your death, in theory, it would suffice remove excess CO2 from our atmosphere, but this is an option with which we can not count, since the COP21 only managed to get an agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 ° C and in a deadline until 2,100.

Another option would be neutralizing locally, the harmful effects that are being caused to corals and to marine life by these radiations, to allow the strengthening and increased resistance and resilience of the corals in front of to Global Warming.

As I have this condition to neutralize the harmfulness of the high voltage electromagnetism and of Beta radioactivity, part of my current job, I have been doing an experiment that I call "energetic harmonization" and now after 7 years I am taking the opportunity to check the results, in front of this global warming, that is one of strongest and most intense in recent times.

On my website I present a summary of the observations I have been doing, and that can be accessed by those who would be interested in meeting:

www.coralsurvival.com.br/page3.php (English) or

www.sobrevivenciadoscorais.com.br/page29.php (Português)

My conclusion is that energetic harmonization can, and is the means to complement the preservation of corals and marine life, that we seek with Marine Protected Areas creation and with their appropriate management, and that effectively can obtain the formation of true Refuges, which will go preventing the extinction of corals.

We need to remove the threat of extinction of corals, of the list of ecological effects that we are only managing to study and document, calling on everyone to act in their elimination, without restriction to knowledge area.

Thank you all for the attention,

Cheers,

Ricardo Haraguchi

Geobiology, Dowsing and Radionics.

rnharag at uol.com.br

Sao Paulo - Brazil

ricardo at coralsurvival.com.br

www.coralsurvival.com.br

www.sobrevivenciadoscorais.com.br

www.harmonizacaoambiental.com.br

www.facebook.com/sobrevivenciadoscorais

Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 19:58:03 +0000 (UTC) From: Martin Moe <martin_moe at yahoo.com>

A coral reef is an intricate web of life. Many thousands ofspecies, microscopic and macroscopic interact to make up the fabric of thisweb. All of these species are important, but their importance to the structureand function of the web of life on a coral reef is not equal. Some species suchas the corals actually construct the structure of the reef, and others, such asmacro algae and the herbivores, establish the base and the balance of theecological environment. Other species find their balance of life within theshadows of these keystone species, and the ecological stability of the coralreef environment progresses through time, typically changing slowly. But rapidenvironmental change produces precipitous biological change and destroysecological stability and far outpaces the capacity of biological evolution toadapt to the changing environment. Thus when rapid change occurs some species dieout, some species reproduce without ecological checks and balances, and new speciespre-a
dapted to the new environment invade and become part of the rapidly changingbalance of life. The human species has brought extreme and rapid environmentalchange to our world, and our coral reefs, like no other species in the historyof life.

With regard to the coral reefs of the tropical westernAtlantic, there have been many changes, overt and subtle, that have hadeffected ecological change on our coral reefs, and many of these have beenreasonably well documented if not eliminated or controlled. Some are within ourcapability to correct or mitigate, and some, at least in the short run, canonly be observed and documented. One species of great ecological importance, onceubiquitous to this entire region, was almost completely destroyed in 1983 by themost extensive mass mortality of any marine animal ever reported in humanhistory. This was the sea urchin, Diadema antillarum, the keystone herbivore ofthe western Atlantic coral reefs. The loss of this single species shifted theecological balance of our tropical reefs from coral dominance to macro algaedominance.

Ogden and Carpenter (1987), based on over 20 years ofexperiments and observations, said it best.

?Through direct effects on algal communities or indirecteffects on other benthic reef organisms, grazing by Diadema is a major factorcontrolling the community structure of coral reefs.? ?.. Perhaps no other single species in thecoral reef environment has such profound effects on the other organismscomposing the reef community. "
The loss of Diadema ushered in a relativelyimmediate change from clean coral rock and crustose coralline algae reefsubstrates into macro algae jungles.. This changed the ecological balance ofreef substrates away from coral and other invertebrate larvae friendlysubstrates to sediment accumulating, micro predator dense, and coral impinging growthsof macro algae.

There are many things in our present societies detrimentalto our coral reefs where we cannot effect rapid change in our lifetimes, but wherewe can at least continue to begin to make remedial changes. And there are otherthings such as coral propagation and reestablishment, in which we have alreadymade good progress. And if we but determine to do so, we can also develop propagationand reestablishment of the keystone herbivore, Diadema antillarum, to effectecological restoration, and we can do both these things during our periodof stewardship of these precious ecosystems. if we but determine to do so.

Martin Moe