[Coral-List] Fwd: Has the death of the Great Barrier Reef been greatly, exaggerated??

Bill Raymond billraymond10 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 09:22:32 EDT 2016

 I saw evidence of subaerial exposure in a reef outcrop at the trench cut for the North Broward Sewage Outfall in 1974. Robin Lighty described this reef exposure in the ICRS and in Science. The shelf edge reef there was A. palmata at the top. At the base of the elkhorn at a depth of 70-75 there was caliche-like "drip rock" and puddling of micrite. The drip rock was sediment lithified at a very high angle of repose, up to 90 degrees, impossible underwater. Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to follow up with a survey/study/publication.