[Coral-List] What is a coral reef and about "geological reef"?

Vassil Zlatarski vzlatarski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:59:17 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,
Hope the end of the exchange concerning "geological reef" and a text from
coming book referring "What is a coral reef" are of interest.
Cheers,
Vassil

8:23 PM (15 hours ago)
to Eugene, me
Indeed, that has been my view until recently.  Problem is, people,
including me, commonly refer to "reefs" or "coral reefs" and make
statements like "reefs are all going to (or not going to) die in a few
decades."  Or "coral reefs will disappear (or not) by 2100".  Reading or
hearing those, they do not tell you whether the author is saying that the
coral reef ecosystem will die or disappear, or whether the carbonate
buildup will die or disappear.  Yet obviously, the carbonate buildup, which
is what a reef is, will not die or disappear in our lifetimes.  It was
never alive in the first place, and it won't disappear any time soon.  The
corals could, and the coral reef ecosystem, could die.  But the way we use
the terms, we have to guess which one the author meant, and many people
haven't been making the distinction, and I think they are very different
systems, with very different time courses and processes.  Related, yes,
dependent on each other, yes, intermingled (life in holes), for sure.  But
you can easily have one without the other.  Fossil reefs on land, and
carbonate caps on guyotes have cabonate buildups originally produced by
coral reef ecosystems, but no living reef building corals. "Coral
communities" on terrestrial rocks, have live corals and many other
organisms, but not carbonate buildups.  They are usually associated, but
they are separable.  I think we need to distinguish them.  I probably
shouldn't have written "geological reefs", maybe coral-ecossytem-produced
carbonate buildups would be better, maybe there is another term.  But
"reef" or "coral reef" is commonly used for either or both, and I think we
need to distinguish them.   Cheers,  Doug