[Coral-List] Request for input: How do differences in environmental and political/management time scales affect your work?

meam at sdcarr.com meam at sdcarr.com
Thu Nov 3 14:31:01 EDT 2016

   Dear Coral-Listers,

   I edit the publication [1]Marine Ecosystems and Management (MEAM) which
   covers ocean planning and EBM worldwide. The presidential election in the
   United States has us at MEAM thinking a lot about political cycles (all over
   the world) and what they mean for ocean management and conservation work.
   And weâd like to input from diverse practitioners all over the world as we
   cover that issue. Given a lot of the recent discussions on Coral List, I
   imagine those of you working on coral systems have a tremendous amount to
   say on this topic.

   The issue and questions: So the time scales at which ocean issues develop
   and can be addressed (e.g., sea level rise, ocean acidification, coral
   bleaching, loss of biodiversity) often stretch over decades â or centuries
   â whereas political cycles and management regimes often last for only a few
   years.  How  does  the  disconnect  between the time scales of problem
   development  and  policy  response affect your work? Are good projects
   abandoned or never even started? Have you found ways to keep working towards
   long-term solutions despite shifting governance and priorities? Do you have
   any suggestions for other conservation/management practitioners dealing with
   these issues?

   We would love to hear your thoughts and experiences (from anywhere in the
   world) and include them (on the record or anonymously) in the next issue of
   MEAM. You can send contributions of any length to me at [2]meam at sdcarr.com.
   I need the input by Friday, November 11, to potentially include it in the
   article.

   It would be great to hear from practitioners not on Coral List as well, so
   please forward this request to colleagues!

   Best wishes,

   Sarah Carr

   Sarah D. Carr

   Editor, [3]Marine Ecosystems and Management

   E-mail: [4]meam at sdcarr.com
   Phone: 202-302-3059
   Skype: sdcarr