[Coral-List] Volunteer Posting: The Nature Conservancy Coral Restoration Program

Stopher Slade stopher.slade at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:27:31 EST 2016

Dear Mr. Hendee,

Please disregard the previous email that is identical to this one except
for the subject line.

Thank you,

 Stopher

Dear members,

Below is a volunteer recruitment announcement for the The Nature
Conservancy Coral Nursery and Restoration Program in St. Croix US Virgin
Islands.  Interested individuals will need to apply to
http://www.nature.org/about-us/careers/  (job ID 44896)   by the closing
date, which is 12/16/2016.

Regards

Stopher Slade

Science Technician I (Volunteer)

The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is the leading conservation organization
working to make a positive impact for people and nature around the world in
69 countries, all 50 United States, major US cities and in your
neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to
conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core
values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we are committed to a
globally diverse and culturally competent workforce.  Visit
www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.

POSITION SUMMARY

The Nature Conservancy has supported the conservation of coral reefs and
the restoration and recovery of the endangered elkhorn (Acropora palmata)
and staghorn (A. cervicornis) corals in the US Virgin Islands since 2009.

The project is currently seeking two (2) full-time volunteers to work from
January 30, 2017 – June 2, 2017 possibly until June 30, 2017 depending on
funding availability.  The Volunteer Associate will assist with aspects of
the project including nursery maintenance and reef restoration efforts.
Volunteers will be supervised by the Principal Investigator and will work 7
hours a day, 5 days per week (35 hours per week).  Although this is an
un-paid volunteer position, TNC will provide housing and reimbursement of
airfare and meal expenses following TNC’s travel Standard Operating
Procedures.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

The Volunteer Associate provides administrative, research, project
management and other general assistance to program or preserve staff in the
operation of a coral restoration project on St. Croix, USVI. This may
include some or all of the following:
• Gathers and synthesizes data relating to coral restoration and
conservation implementation and/or activities.
• Assists in coral nursery maintenance and outplanting activities.
• Assists in the maintenance of equipment, boats, and dive equipment.
• Completing tasks independently within assigned timeframes.
• Managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• Performing administrative duties emphasizing detail-oriented and
numerical tasks.
• Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English.
• Assists in the maintenance of boats and dive equipment. Demonstrated
ability to safely operate a small powerboat preferred. Must have working
knowledge of safety guidelines for operating a boat and must follow all
state, local and federal regulations specified for the operation of the
motorized watercraft. Must follow recommended safety guidelines and
precautions specified for said work.
• Resolves routine issues independently.
• Develops resolution plans with supervisor for unusual or complex issues.
• Works under close supervision and receives specific and detailed
instructions for required tasks and results expected.
• Addresses issues with supervisor that affect others’ work or the overall
program.
• Consults supervisor on unspecified or unusual issues.
• Ability to work cooperatively with a number of staff and external
parties, sometimes under pressure, in order to complete project work and
goals in a timely manner.
• Formulate ideas and communicate clearly with others, both orally and in
written form.
• Provide a variety of information to staff and others, contributing to
conservation projects and assisting workflow throughout the organization.

RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE

• Maintains project records.
• May purchase equipment and supplies as provided for in budget.
• May assist with program budget development and monitoring.
• May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, in
hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances. These
conditions may:

   - require physical exertion
   - require working on unstable platforms and inclement weather
   - present occasional possibility of injury
   - require long hours in isolated settings

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Associates Degree in natural resources; environmental studies or
equivalent combination of education and 6-months
experience.
• Experience managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
• 50-100 SCUBA dives minimum.
• SCUBA certification and qualified to meet AAUS Dive Safety Standards (
www.aaus.org). Scientific diving experience preferred.  Must have Rescue
Diver certification prior to starting the position.
• Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Excel, Web
browsers).
• Database management skills including report production.
• Ability to repeatedly lift up to 40 lbs.
• Current CPR, First Aid and Oxygen First Aid Certifications and Diving
Medical Exam preferred.
• Valid US driver’s license.

PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE

• Field experience.
• Knowledge of Caribbean stony corals species, survey experience, and
ability to identify critical threats to coral reef ecosystems.
• Ability to work as part of a team to achieve identified project goals and
objectives.
• Ability to assist with program budget development and monitoring.
• Ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment.
• Supervisory skills.
• Time management skills.

AUTO SAFETY POLICY

This position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the
Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive
Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on
behalf of the Conservancy if considered "high risk drivers." Please see
further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at
www.nature.org/careers.

Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle
Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's
motor vehicle record.

HOW TO APPLY

To apply to position number 44896, submit resume (required) and cover
letter as a single document using the upload button. All applications must
be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 16,
2016.

Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a
draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications
cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result
in your application being disqualified from consideration.

If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide
<http://www.nature.org/about-us/careers/external-applicant-userguide.pdf>
or contact applyhelp at tnc.org. *LI-

*The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer*

Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation
mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and
women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring
staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global
character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures,
races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages,
disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected
veteran status or other status protected by law.

--
Stopher Slade                   o
        o                                  o