[Coral-List] Human costs of enforcement and compliance in MPAs

Sofia Castello y Tickell sofiacastello at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 04:28:56 EDT 2016

Dear Coral-Listers,

Given the huge amount of expertise on coral reefs, marine conservation and
MPAs in this group, I hope that some of you will be willing to fill out the
following 10-minute anonymous survey, if you have experience working in or
around no-take MPAs: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SSMJCPH

The aims of our project, based at the University of Oxford, are to assess
the human costs of enforcing and complying with no-take MPAs, from which no
resources can be extracted. This includes costs both to the MPA staff and
to resource users associated with the MPA. We recognise the substantial
ecological and social benefits of MPAs, and feel that the costs of MPA
enforcement (and how to mitigate them) are less well researched. Therefore
we hope to answer questions of how prevalent and impactful human costs are,
how, when and where they occur, and how they could be mitigated. The
project is being conducted as a dissertation project for the MSc course in
Biodiversity, Conservation & Management, and is supervised by Professor EJ
Milner-Gulland.

Thank you very much for your time, and please feel free to get in touch
with me with any questions at sofia.castelloytickell at some.ox.ac.uk!

Sincerely,

Sofia Castello y Tickell

--