[Coral-List] Survey on human costs of enforcement and compliance in no-take MPAs

Eileen Alicea - NOAA Affiliate eileen.alicea at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 13 14:42:33 EDT 2016

Given the huge amount of expertise on fisheries and marine management in
this group, I hope that some of you will be willing to fill out the
following 10-minute anonymous survey, if you have experience living or
working in or around no-take MPAs: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SSMJCPH

The aims of our project, based at the University of Oxford, are to assess
the human costs of enforcing and complying with no-take MPAs, from which no
resources can be extracted. This includes costs both to the MPA staff and
to resource users associated with the MPA. We recognise the substantial
ecological and social benefits MPAs can create, and feel that the costs of
MPA enforcement and compliance are less well researched. Therefore we hope
to answer questions of how prevalent and impactful human costs are, how,
when and where they occur, and how they could be mitigated. The project is
being conducted as a dissertation project for the MSc course in
Biodiversity, Conservation & Management, and is supervised by Professor EJ
Milner-Gulland.

Thank you very much for your time. Please feel free to share with your
networks, and get in touch with me with any questions at
sofia.castelloytickell at some.ox.ac.uk

Sincerely,

Sofia Castello y Tickell
sofia.castelloytickell at some.ox.ac.uk