[Coral-List] Has the death of the Great Barrier Reef been greatly exaggerated??

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 18 15:27:51 EDT 2016

   At the very least I think that the wide range of reactions to the Outside
   article would provoke some introspection regarding what and how we choose to
   communicate  about the immediate and long term future of coral reefs..
   Admittedly, serious researchers are unlikely to resort to satire, but that
   doesn't necessarily mean that parody has no place in the conversation. Many
   scientists have expressed the view that pieces like this are damaging in
   that they invoke a sense of futility and hopelessness. But what about the
   dangers of framing restoration and resiliency as the best way out? There
   seems to be some potential pitfalls there as well. Why not use the occasion
   to emphasize the fact that often times there can be unintended consequences
   in how information is received and understood? If nothing else the article
   should encourage everyone involved in coral reef conservation to pause and
   reconsider what it is that we want to say and what forms of expression are
   best suited to get the message out there with clarity and purpose.   Steve