[Coral-List] New report - Ocean warming may be 'greatest hidden challenge'

Mark Eakin - NOAA Federal mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 12 12:12:31 EDT 2016

New in-depth new report on the effects of climate warming on ocean ecosystems and people/communities that depend on them.

> Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, 5 September (IUCN) – Ocean warming is affecting humans in direct ways and the impacts are already being felt, including effects on fish stocks and crop yields, more extreme weather events and increased risk from water-borne diseases, according to what has been called the most comprehensive review available on the issue, launched today by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) at the IUCN World Conservation Congress in Hawai‘i.
>
> Explaining ocean warming: Causes, scale, effects and consequences <https://portals.iucn.org/library/node/46254>
>
> https://www.iucn.org/news/latest-ocean-warming-review-reveals-extent-impacts-nature-and-humans <https://www.iucn.org/news/latest-ocean-warming-review-reveals-extent-impacts-nature-and-humans>
>
> Also highlighted in Sciencedaily https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906085016.htm <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160906085016.htm>

Details on the impact of warming on corals can be found in chapter 3.8:

3.8 Impacts and effects of ocean warming on coral reefs

Scott F. Heron, C. Mark Eakin, Jeffrey A. Maynard, Ruben van Hooidonk

Cheers,
Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov
Twitter: @CoralReefWatch	FB: Coral Reef Watch

NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct., E/RA32
College Park, MD 20740
Office: (301) 683-3320     Fax: (301) 683-3301
Mobile: (301) 502-8608    SOCD Office: (301) 683-3300

“What’s the use of having developed a science well enough to make predictions if, in the end, all we’re willing to do is stand around and wait for them to come true?”
F. Sherwood Rowland,
1995 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry