[Coral-List] Time Magazine on coral bleaching

Mark Eakin - NOAA Federal mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 16 17:25:06 EDT 2016

While I appreciate that from an Australian perspective the description "an endless stretch of white" may seem odd, in the Caribbean and many other areas, bleached corals are all white. In fact, I've seen photo after photo of this bleaching event since it started mid-2014 and only a small minority showed fluorescence.

Cheers,
Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov
Twitter: @CoralReefWatch	FB: Coral Reef Watch

NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct., E/RA32
College Park, MD 20740
Office: (301) 683-3320     Fax: (301) 683-3301
Mobile: (301) 502-8608    SOCD Office: (301) 683-3300

“The growing threat of climate change could define the contours of this century more dramatically than any other challenge.”
President Barack Obama, September 3, 2016