[Coral-List] Reef Safe Bill In Hawaii

Be Reef Safe bereefsafe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:48:19 EDT 2017

Mahalo for some of the inspiration. I think you have something there. I
pulled your notes and began working on options.

We can't take it to a cultural level as part of the sacredness of the
reefs, fishing & coastal areas etc. are maintained thru them being unknown
to the general public.

We are currently focused on Molokini Crater area as a rallying point (off
the island of Maui). It's a popular destination, used as a backdrop from
many resort pictures and far enough out that only boats can get there.
There is plenty of advertising dollars spent making it sound great.  We
thought that would be a good one to go after. About 1/4 of the boats
visiting practice reef safe efforts already.

Our goal is to get every tour operator to invest in the reef system at
Molokini as it is important to their viability. It seems like a prudent
move considering the profit reaped from it.

Organizations we partner with like
https://www.mauireefs.org/reverse-the-decline/ are helping to collect data,
raise awareness and educate.