[Coral-List] Non-tenure track faculty positions: Univ. of San Diego

Sarah Gray sgray at sandiego.edu
Fri Apr 21 12:03:47 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues:

The University of San Diego (USD) department of Environmental and Ocean Sciences (EOSC) invites applications for up to two full-time non-tenure track faculty positions (benefits based on a 9-month contract) to teach courses in either physical/geological marine science or biological environmental science during and beyond the 2017-18 academic year.  USD is an independent Catholic university whose primary aim is teaching excellence.   We seek full-time faculty to teach up to 24 units/year of upper-division (junior, senior)/graduate [MS]) and/or lower division (freshman, sophomore) lectures and laboratory sections.  Courses where we may have teaching needs include the following: Introduction to Geosciences (EOSC 110), Natural Disasters (EOSC 104), Introduction to Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences (EOSC 220), Introduction to Maps and Spatial Data Analysis [GIS] (EOSC 314), History of Earth and Climate (EOSC 474), Geological Oceanography (EOSC 450), Marine Geochemistry (EOSC 452), Life in the Sea (EOSC 121) and Organisms and Ecosystems (EOSC 123).  In addition, we will consider “Special Topics” courses in the faculty member’s area of specialization.  Course descriptions can be found at: http://www.sandiego.edu/cas/environmental-ocean-sciences/program/?area=courses <http://www.sandiego.edu/cas/environmental-ocean-sciences/program/?area=courses>. There may also be opportunities to collaborate in research, mentor student research, and to engage in diverse departmental outreach activities. EOSC faculty members maintain strong ties with marine and environmental researchers at multiple local institutions.

Applicants should submit a curriculum vita, a list of two references, a statement of teaching qualifications (including a list of the specific courses in our curriculum you could teach), and a statement of research interests/experience.  All application materials should be submitted as a single pdf file via e-mail to Soroya Rowley (soroya at sandiego.edu <mailto:soroya at sandiego.edu>) with the subject line "EOSC Faculty Search". Further questions can be directed to the Department Chair, Sarah Gray (sgray at sandiego.edu <mailto:sgray at sandiego.edu>).

Qualifications: PhD by start date (August 2017).

Background check & degree verification:  Hiring will require successful completion of a pre-employment background check and submittal of official transcripts for degree verification purposes.

Salary: 2017-18: $60,400 for 9 months. The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package with medical, dental, vision, and a 12% retirement contribution (after a three year vesting period).

Closing date: For full consideration, please submit your application by May 8th, 2017.   We will begin to evaluate the applications upon receipt and will continue until the position(s) is/are filled.

The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.

Sarah C. Gray
Professor and Chair
Environmental and Ocean Sciences
University of San Diego