[Coral-List] Evidence that ocean warming has caused most Caribbean coral loss

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 25 20:51:04 EDT 2017

   Hello John, colleagues.
   I hesitate to respond, because all too often these exchanges degenerate into
   two guys talking past each other. Nonetheless, I wish to make myself clear,
   and to clear up some items.
   When I referred to reefs declining before significant warming, I was taking
   temperature data from your post. I am well aware of the progress of warming
   of the Caribbean. You seem to infer that I have failed to post references to
   land-based stress going back to the 70's-but if you are publishing on the
   Caribbean, you know this literature as well as I do-or you should. To take
   but one example: Phil Dustan's work clearly shows decline well under way by
   the early 1970's-I encourage all to look at the depressing time-lapse photos
   he posts at [1]https://biospherefoundation.org/project/coral-reef-change/
   He attributes the decline to land-based pollution. In followup work in
   Florida, Craig Downs found that bleaching was accelerated by oxidative
   stress, probably from pesticides:
   [2]http://www.haereticus-lab.org/coral-reefs-in-florida-keys-in-devastating-
   decline/
   In short, decline was well under way by the early 70's-but you knew this.
   One of the advantages of retrospective analyses of corals and gorgonians is
   that it allows us to generate baseline-ish data where none had existed
   before. In the case of the Florida Keys, Ward-Paige et al (2005: MEPS 296:
   155-163) relate that decline to changes in water quality. In their Fig. 5,
   the difference between 15N ratios from "clean" and "dirty" sites converge
   back in the early 70's. By the present, they differ by 2per mille (a value I
   have suggested elsewhere should trigger enforcement involvement). In short,
   the WQ started going bad in the 70's. Similarly, we were able to trace the
   decline in WQ in the Red sea off Jeddah since 1950, during which the reefs
   declined (Risk et al., 2009: MEPS 397: 219-226).
   Saying  we  have  not lost any reefs yet, just corals, is playing with
   semantics.  More  than  a decade ago, I was asked to evaluate the reef
   monitoring  programs  in  the Florida Keys. I had been away, mostly in
   Asia...and was horrified by what I learned. Coral had declined from 45%
   cover to <4% (and it's lower, now). In my report, I referred to this as a
   "regional mass extinction." This wording, although correct, was removed in
   the final copy. A substrate with a scattering of corals is not a reef. In
   fact (zowie, huge other subject!) there have been several recent papers
   pointing out that most modern reefs are in a negative balance, due to the
   nutrient-driven acceleration of bioerosion.
   You  miss  my point, about running experiments about survival rates of
   unstressed reefs. The examples you cite are not convincing. We have known
   for decades that terrestrial influence can extend >100km offshore (Sammarco
   et al., 1999: MEPS 180: 131-138, and earlier papers). I suggest another
   thought experiment: had terrestrial stresses been removed from the Florida
   Keys when Dustan first sounded the alarm, those reefs would now be healthier
   than those of Cuba, much closer to the warming centre. I can't say much
   about this Cuban MS I have, because it's under review, but they make it
   clear that yes, those reefs are generally in better nick than the Caribbean
   in general-except near sources of land-based pollution.
   There  are  a  lot  of very clever people in this field. Speaking very
   personally, I would like to see some of the smart biologists who spend their
   time mining others' papers for trends move out of their comfort zones and
   get into the chemical and geological aspects of this field. There's not a
   lot of time left.
   Mike