[Coral-List] Evidence that ocean warming has caused most Caribbean coral loss

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 30 10:10:11 EDT 2017

 Dear Mike ,

You make a number of good points and I agree with you although I'm trying my best to resist accepting what I consider to be your realistic/pessimistic position on the future of coral reefs. It is just too painful a picture to envision so for now I choose to look away. Sometimes even focusing on the next resurgence that I like to imagine will occur over geological time. We certainly did miss opportunities to speak with a forceful, unified voice early on, but I attribute that to our tendency to unify only when a situation rises to the level of an undeniable crisis. Coral reefs now seem to be approaching that tipping point so the question has the be is there single mindedness among coral scientists as to what must be done and can a message be articulated that can save the day or at least make it appear as if we tried?  I don't presume to have the answers, but at this point it appears that reducing carbon emissions holds out our best chance.  That doesn't mean that addressing local stressors is futile or meaningless, only that such efforts should be framed in such a way that there is no ambiguity - if we are to have any real hope of preserving what's left of our coral reefs we must address anthropogenic climate change. I come at this from the diving industry where a message has evolved suggesting that protecting marine ecosystems equates to increasing MPAs (without limiting diver access), removing plastic debris, controlling lionfish populations and protecting sharks and rays - all worthwhile endeavors, but without clear recognition of the overriding impacts of climate change it seems to me to be nothing more than a cruel facade.  It's as if a powerful line from a movie rules the day. "You can't handle the truth!"

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad