[Coral-List] Reminder: Call for EOI to host IMCC6 in 2020

SCB Marine Section scbmarinecomms at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 18:16:45 EDT 2017

*Calls for expressions of interest to host the 6th International Marine
Conservation Congress (IMCC6)* *2020* will close 30 September - please pass
on through your networks!

>From 24 to 29 June 2018, more than 700 marine conservationists from all
disciplines and from across the globe will convene in Kuching, Malaysia for
the 5th International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC5) and the second
iteration of OceansOnline.  While we are greatly looking forward to these
events, the most important global meetings for marine conservation and
online advocacy for the ocean, we already have an eye on the 6th
International Marine Conservation Congress (IMCC6) and the third iteration
of OceansOnline. These meetings will take place in in 2020.

We are now ready to receive expressions of interest to host the IMCC6 and
OceansOnline 3. One or more of these expressions of interest will then be
requested to submit a fuller proposal. Hosted by the Marine Section of The
Society for Conservation Biology, the International Marine Conservation
Congress brings together conservation professionals and students to develop
new and powerful tools to further marine conservation science and policy.
OceansOnline focuses on how marine scientists, conservationists, and
educators can use internet tools for research, collaboration, and public
outreach. Both are open to anyone interested in marine science or
conservation topics.

For these events, the organisers are interested in reaching out to new
communities and going to a city where we have not hosted a meeting before.
While we are interested in hearing expressions of interest from any
country, we would especially like to encourage interest from Africa, Latin
America and the Caribbean, and Oceania as we have not yet held an IMCC in
these regions.

Expressions of interest need to demonstrate that local hosts have access to
a suitable venue; strong support from local organisations and government;
good connections to universities, industry, and research organisations in
the country and region; and solid financial support.

We envision IMCC6 and OceansOnline 3 taking a similar format to their
previous iterations, so please take a look at the websites for IMCC4
<http://conbio.org/mini-sites/imcc-2016> and IMCC5 <http://www.imcc5.com>.
The days prior and subsequent to the congress will involve hosting of
workshops, training sessions, and field trips.

If your organisation, institution, or locality is interested in hosting
IMCC6 and OceansOnline3, please send an initial expression of interest of
no more than 1000 words and 2 images/tables to scbmarinecomms at gmail.com.