[Coral-List] Final Few Places Available on the Maldives Tropical Marine Biology Short Course

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Sat Dec 9 10:25:31 EST 2017

Dear Coral List

Final few places available for our (university of Derby, UK) 2018 Tropical Marine Biology Course (in the Maldives).

The course is credit bearing and suitable for undergraduates and post graduates alike. In the past we have had dive masters, undergraduates from varying degrees, Masters and PhD students and even the odd Professor wanting to brush up on their skills.

There are only two places left, so if interested please email asap to book in a place or alternatively log onto http://unishop.derby.ac.uk/product-catalogue/college-of-life-natural-sciences/short-courses/tropical-marine-biology-short-course-2018 and book directly there.

The course has been running over the last four years and has proven to be extremely popular. Costs equate to £2500 exlcuding  international flights. We spend 10 days based on Faresmaathoda, part of Huvadhu Atoll in the Southern Maldives, taking a private speed boat to nearby secluded islands each day to conduct our work. These islands have high coral cover but also have a diversity of habitat types including mangrove habitats and seagrass beds. If you would like to see our research station please visit the website http://smallislandlodge.com/the-lodge/lodge/.

On the course you will be taught a broad range of coral reef ecology including coral and fish taxonomy, field sampling techniques, the challenges that reefs are facing in the Anthropocene and the various ways in which conservationists are attempting to support coral populations. Furthermore, in the latter half of the course you will get to conduct your own research project..

You will be taught by yours truly - Associate Professor Michael Sweet http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=fsG_EBwAAAAJ and Dr Mark Bulling http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=RIEboVQAAAAJ&hl=en, who is an ecological statistician..

If you're not comfortable with the statistics program R (freely available at https://cran.r-project.org/), we will walk you through this and show you how to analyse your data.

Yours faithfully

Dr Michael Sweet
Associate professor in Aquatic Biology
Head of the Aquatic Research Facility at the University of Derby, UK

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/