[Coral-List] New paper in Symbiodinium thermotolerance

Erika Díaz Almeyda ediazalmeyda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:43:40 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

Please check out our paper:

Intraspecific and interspecific variation in thermotolerance and
photoacclimation in *Symbiodinium* dinoflagellates

Rising sea temperatures can cause coral bleaching, the critical breakdown
of the symbiotic relationship between coral and their photosynthetic
dinoflagellate. We measured the ability of 11 isolates from five species of
*Symbiodinium* to tolerate high water temperatures. We found variation in
heat tolerance among and within species, suggesting greater diversity in
heat tolerance than previously thought. Some isolates grew slowly at
elevated temperatures while others died out. Exposure to high light levels,
another stressor, can accelerate high temperature damage. This research
highlights diversity in thermal tolerance and can help understand the
persistence of corals in response to climate change.

You can find the full paper here:
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/284/1868/20171767

Enjoy!!!

Erika Díaz-Almeyda