[Coral-List] vicious cycle hypothesis, rivers, and enclosed seas (Coral-List Digest, Vol 112, Issue 12 -)

Storlazzi, Curt cstorlazzi at usgs.gov
Wed Dec 20 13:17:47 EST 2017

Colleagues,

This thread by Stuart and Joseph regarding high DOC loading to a relatively
enclosed basin (the Caribbean, in this case) as "a" or "the" cause for
lower coral cover, etc is very interesting and brings up a point that has
baffled me throughout my career investigating land-based impacts (primarily
terrestrial sediment) on coral reefs.

I would argue that the statement that, "the Caribbean is distinct from
other tropical reef areas in having major river discharges into a
semi-enclosed sea" might not be true - southeast Asia (China, Vietnam,
Thailand, Borneo, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, etc) has some of the natural
highest geologic uplift, rainfall, vegetation, and resulting weathering,
erosion, landslides. These climatic, geologic, and terrestrial ecologic
processes result in relatively massive terrestrial sediment and associated
nutrient (and maybe thus DOC?) fluxes to the relatively enclosed South
China, Andaman, Java, Timor, Flores, Celebes, Coral, Philippine, etc Seas
in the region, as shown by the seminal papers by John Milliman and James
Syvitski** spanning the 1980s-2000s.

​So my question to all is:

How is ​the Coral Triangle with it's relatively (in a global sense) high
coral cover and high diversity compatible with some of the highest natural
terrestrial sediment and associated nutrient fluxes (let alone growing
populations and their associated anthropogenic contributions) to the seas
where those corals exist?

​**​
John D. Milliman and Robert H. Meade
​ (1983)
 "World-Wide Delivery of River Sediment to the Oceans," The Journal of
Geology
​, v.​
91, no. 1
​, p.​
1-21.

​
John D. Milliman
​ and ​
J​
ames P.M. Syvitski (1992) "
Geomorphic/Tectonic Control of Sediment Discharge to the Ocean:
​ ​
The Importance of Small Mountainous Rivers
" ​
Journal of Geology, v
..​
100, p. 525-544.

J​
ames P.M. Syvitski, Scott D. Peckham, Rachael Hilberman
​,​
 Thierry Mulder
​ (2003) "
Predicting the terrestrial flux of sediment to the global ocean:
​ A​
 planetary perspective"
Sedimentary Geology
​,​
​v. ​
162
​, ​p.
5–2
​4.​
​

James P. M. Syvitski,
​ ​
Charles J. Vosmarty,
​ ​
Albert J. Kettner,
​ ​
Pamela Green
​ (2005) "
Impact of Humans on the Flux of
​ ​
Terrestrial Sediment to the
​ ​
Global Coastal Ocean
" Science, v. 308, p. 376-380

Curt D. Storlazzi, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center
2885 Mission Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 460-7521 phone
(831) 427-4748 fax