[Coral-List] New paper: Who should pick the winners of climate change?

Madhavi Colton mcolton at coral.org
Fri Feb 10 14:34:40 EST 2017

Hello Coral List,

I'm writing to bring your attention to a new paper in TREE titled, "Who
should pick the winners of climate change?"

Many conservation strategies identify a narrow subset of genotypes,
species, or geographic locations that are predicted to be favored under
different scenarios of future climate change. However, a focus on predicted
winners, which might not prove to be correct, risks undervaluing the
balance of biological diversity from which climate-change winners could
otherwise emerge. Drawing on ecology, evolutionary biology, and portfolio
theory, we propose a conservation approach designed to promote adaptation
that is less dependent on uncertain predictions about the identity of
winners and losers. By designing actions to facilitate numerous
opportunities for selection across biological and environmental conditions,
we can allow nature to pick the winners and increase the probability that
ecosystems continue to provide services to humans and other species.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2016.12.007.

Please reach out if you have any trouble accessing the paper.

All the best,
Madhavi

Madhavi Colton, Ph.D.
Program Director