[Coral-List] parrotfishes and coral reef health

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Wed Feb 15 20:36:22 EST 2017

Hi Les,
Thanks for introducing a little appropriate complexity into the discussion of Caribbean-area reef ecosystems.

I’ll just add that along with the effects of the impacts of predators, herbivores, nutrients, microbes, hurricanes, etc., on macroalgal cover and biomass, thick mats of turf algae and/or turf algal sediment mats, gorgonians, other cnidaria, epilithic or endolithic sponges, peyssonnelids, tunicates, etc., currently are major competitors with stony corals and crustose coralline algae on some of our reefs, former reefs and coral communities.

Judy Lang
AGRRA Scientific Coordinator