[Coral-List] Parrotfish loss drives reef decline

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri Feb 17 09:40:48 EST 2017

   Good day, all.

   Partly a response to the posts by Ilsa and Joe, and partly housekeeping…

   In an earlier post, I referred to what I think is the only Caribbean example
   of what happens when the water is cleaned up. This occurred at Worthing,
   Barbados. There was a semi-enclosed lagoon tucked in behind a huge offshore
   bar.  That  lagoon was stagnant, heated up…WQ was crap, one could find
   recently-dead Diadema and corals.

   Beginning in the early 2000’s, the beach eroded-this was accelerated by the
   passing  of  Hurricane Lili on 2002. Blew the back end off the lagoon,
   suddenly filling it with (relatively) clean water passing east-to-west.

   Over the next year, corals (typical Caribbean sediment-resistant species)
   recruited to the area; numbers of fish increased, as well as numbers of
   reef-associated molluscs. The only surprising element here would seem to be:
   this is the only Caribbean example we have of the influence of cleaner
   water.

   There is an abstract describing this (Risk et al.), in the 2008 ASLO Summer
   Meeting in St John’s NL. Writing up the full paper was on my bucket list-but
   the project was done with Baird and Associates, and I will no longer work
   with them.  What you see in the Abstract is all you are likely to get. The
   experiment has ended now, with regrowth of the blocking bar. The ambient WQ
   on Barbados is probably not good enough, anywhere on the island, to support
   healthy reef growth.

   Ilsa’s efforts quantifying the bones of dead reefs are to be commended-but
   as  she  points  out, grazing is now destroying habitat. What is more,
   bioerosion increases in lockstep with nutrients-so those bones are being
   gnawed  on  from  the  outside and destroyed from the inside. So Joe’s
   observation is correct: sponges now rule.

   The boring sponge fauna seems to be circum-global, probably because they
   pre-date the critters in which they bore. The only major species seemingly
   restricted to the Caribbean is the faecal bioindicator Cliona delitrix- I
   have been told that huge red colonies of the sponge, many square metres in
   area, can now be seen from a light plane in the passes in Florida.

    In a series of older papers, Kobluk, James and Pemberton document what
   happened: borers are ancient. The “modern” fauna is virtually complete by
   the Devonian. When a mass extinction comes along and wipes out their hosts,
   the borers hide in hardgrounds, waiting for the rise of the next skeletal
   group. They are down there now, waiting.

   Re Parrotfish: it is likely that Diadema was always the dominant grazer in
   the Caribbean. In a series of elegant older papers, my old mate Sammarco has
   compared biological processes between the Caribbean and the Indo-Pacific.
   Coral larvae in the Caribbean settle on the tops of the substrate where they
   would be easy prey for visually-cued fish, whereas Indo-Pacific coral larvae
   are cryptic-even when grazing pressure is removed. Basin-wide changes in the
   behaviour of coral larvae are unlikely to have risen spontaneously in the
   last century.

   Mike