[Coral-List] SPAM R2: Re: Parrotfishes and coral reef health

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Fri Feb 17 23:52:03 EST 2017

Julian,
Your question is valid, but it hides an unfortunate reality:  Somehow we've all been complicit in building a perspective which teaches that environmental management is actually easy to do, and that if we do not already know the (simple) steps to take to solve the (simple) problems, those steps will be easily found with a little more research.  Ecology is not as simple as physics, and while I am sure nearly every ecologist knows this, we have never really shaken off the impression that we are just people who happen to like nature, rather than real scientists.  Managers ask for simple, doable solutions while ecologists try to offer such solutions by hiding the complexities most of them know are lurking.

To reef management -- there are some tried and true rule of thumb approaches always worth implementing.  To wit: most reefs except those impossibly remote ones are being exploited, and most are being over-exploited.  So 1) seek to cut fishing pressure, 2) seek to eliminate fishing methods that destroy habitat and other species, 3) seek to ensure that existing fishing rules are obeyed, and protected sites are actually protected.  Many reefs are also polluted, or suffering from sedimentation due to inappropriate coastal construction activities.  So 4) seek to build community consensus concerning the value of reefs, and the damage that pollution does to them, 5) seek to reduce pollution, 6) seek community consensus to strengthen legal systems to control coastal construction.  Reefs are being seriously damaged by our global CO2 emissions.  So 7) seek to raise awareness of the value of reefs - economic, intrinsic, cultural - and how CO2 emissions affect them, 8) seek to build consensus on the pressing need to curtail CO2 emissions for reefs, for people, and for our planet.  Mostly the reef manager's tasks involve managing human behavior and attitudes, while monitoring the state of the reef to see if it is improving or continuing to degrade.

I'm sure we could add additional items to this list, and some of those might be more important in a particular locality than some of the 8 I've listed..  Producing an impossibly long list is not helpful.  Frankly, if every MPA in a reef region were actually managed in accordance with the regulations set up for it, and with high compliance, I believe that alone would be an excellent first step forward to improve the resilience of reef systems.  We do not need the new reef science, not yet done, to do a far better job of managing coral reefs than we generally have been doing, although, in the long run we will have to do more than this.

None of the above is intended to suggest that the majority of reef managers are not doing the best they know how.  Reef managers have an incredibly difficult task, and usually suffer totally inadequate levels of support - finance, personnel, equipment.  The reef science community can help in many ways, including by helping articulate the need for resources to make management possible.

Peter Sale
University of Windsor