[Coral-List] Causes of reef decline

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Sat Feb 18 17:18:24 EST 2017

Right on, Mark.
I had a disillusioning experience in Jamaica about four years ago.  (Or it would have been disillusioning, if I was less jaded than I was by then.)

They wanted us to guide a revision to the management plans for three MPAs including Montego Bay, the oldest in the country.  Apart from discovering (not unusual) that the agency wanted us to write a document to place on their shelf, rather than do any of the mentoring and guiding they had asked for initially, I had the joy of listening to managers explain the total lack of enforcement of fishing restrictions in two no-take zones as due to 1) a repeated claim by the fishing co-ops that they had to have the sites' borders buoyed so the fishers would know where they were, 2) shortage of funds for buoys, and 3) very effective nighttime removal by persons unknown of any buoys that were put out.  This had been going on for years while all parties assured one another than they wanted to get the regulations into force.

I suggested it was time to tell the fishers that the sites would not be buoyed because of evident logistic difficulties, and that it was the fishers' responsibility to know where they were out on the water.  That suggestion did not go over well with the agency, and so far as I know was never put to the fishers.  Meanwhile higher levels of government were pretending that giving responsibility for management to tiny non-profits, keeping their budgets way too small, and getting grants to bring in the odd consultant for another report was an effective way to manage Jamaica's MPAs.

Building political will to actually do something useful in environmental management remains a challenge there and in many other nations round the world.

Peter Sale
University of Windsor