[Coral-List] "Global warming" vs. "climate change."

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Wed Jan 4 14:55:47 EST 2017

Hi Gene,
Although the two terms are casually related, they do have different meanings, at least in the scientific literature.
"Global warming “ refers to the long-term trend of rising average global temperature.
I agree we should use it when referring to increases in seawater temperatures  and related bleaching events.

“Climate change” (or “global climate change”) can refer to all changes in global climate (including extreme weather and sea level rise) resulting from the increasing average global temperature OR simply to a long-term change in the climate of part or all of Earth.
Perhaps we should be more specific and refer to "global sea level rise," or whatever it is we specifically want to describe.

Both terms have been in use for decades in the U.S., often interchangeably. However, In 2002 the Bush administration abandoned its references to “global warming” when advised that the term ‘climate change” was less frightening to the American public. (For this and some other successful anti-science tactics of that era, see https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2003/mar/04/usnews.climatechange <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2003/mar/04/usnews.climatechange>).

Best wishes to all for many successes  in 2017,
Judy Lang
AGRRA Scientific Coordinator
www.agrra.org