[Coral-List] Expert Disagreement in Climate, Science

Clive Wilkinson clive.wilkinson at rrrc.org.au
Fri Jan 13 22:02:56 EST 2017

Dear Gene and the list
There has been much comment on this posting. The terminology has been discussed in detail, and I will not enter there; BUT ....

I was surprised that a scientist would trot out that hoary old chestnut of the curve of global temperatures flattening with CO2 concentration increases after 1998. Predominantly the people espousing this line are either those working for the fossil fuel industry or those sceptics with no understanding of statistics. 1998 datum point in the temperature graph is clearly an outlier due to the major El Nino - La Nina shift in the global climate. The underlying graph with that datum point removed is a steady increase that has accelerated after about 2010. One way to treat such outliers is to do a running 3 or 5 year average graph; do it and you will see no evidence of the sceptics flattening. If you applied the same logic, the global financial situation continued for years on a major decline after 2008.

Whether it is climate change or global warming is irrelevant; what is alarming is that it is accelerating faster than we are able to control and faster than what geologists measured over millennia.

Clive Wilkinson