[Coral-List] Marine Bio in BVIs-Accepting High School Students

Melannie J. Bachman melannie.bachman at manta-online.org
Tue Jan 17 13:18:12 EST 2017

   Hello Fellow Ocean Ambassadors,

   Do you know enthusiastic high school students interested in marine biology?

   We are [1]Accepting High School Applications for this summer’s [2]Field
   Studies in Coral Reef Biology course, in the British Virgin Islands.

   The [3]Marine science And Nautical Training Academy (MANTA) is a 501(c)(3)
   non-profit education and research organization founded by full-time research
   scientists  at the Hollings Marine Laboratory, in Charleston, SC.  Our
   mission is to provide high school and college students a unique opportunity
   to learn about the marine environment, and participate in marine science
   research and conservation projects.

   The program provides an intensive, experienced-based field study program in
   fundamental and applied marine science.  Students will live on a large
   catamaran  sailboat  in the British Virgin Islands for two weeks while
   learning marine science, and practical skills used in the field like SCUBA
   diving,  sailing,  and  seamanship of a research vessel.  Lectures and
   experiential  learning  are  used  to  teach students about coral reef
   ecosystems, as students develop and test their own hypotheses by designing
   and executing short field experiments.  The course is taught by faculty at
   the [4]College of Charleston and other marine scientists from our floating
   classroom and research platform.

   Visit  our website for examples of [5]What We Research as well as more
   details about the [6]High School Program, July 10-24, 2017. Our college
   program  was  recently  featured in the Fall Edition of the College of
   Charleston Magazine, [7]check it out.

   Please forward this message to interested students, have them identify a
   teacher reference, and submit a free quick online application for [8]High
   School.   Email [9]melannie.bachman at manta-online.org for more detailed
   information about the syllabus, itinerary or enrollment.

   Thank You!

   Dr. Rusty Day, Executive Director &

   Melannie Bachman, MSc, Vice President

   Melannie J Bachman, MSc
   MANTA-Marine science And Nautical Training Academy
   Vice President
   417 Planters Trace Dr
   Charleston, SC 29412
   www.manta-online.org