[Coral-List] Reg. Coral Taxonomy

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:08:15 EST 2017

Yogesh,
    Good question!  Dr. Veron has recently released the beta testing
version of his online website, www.coralsoftheworld.org which is an update
and expansion of his 3 volume work "Corals of the World."  This new website
has adopted many, but not all, of the changes shown in WORMS, I believe.
So most of the differences you have noticed are no longer differences, just
check that website to see which are no longer different.  The website also
has a section on "coral taxonomy" that explains many of the problems with
coral taxonomy.  They also have adopted the concepts of individual species
among the Acropora that are in the 1999 book by Wallace, "Staghorn corals
of the world" so those differences have also been resolved.  By the way,
that 1999 book has loads of pictures of skeletons of Acropora species and
detailed standard descriptions of the skeletons which are super useful in
the Indo-Pacific, I highly recommend it.  It is available on Amazon, the
Kindle version is much cheaper than the actual book.  The descriptions have
been updated in a new revision of the Acropora by Wallace, Done & Muir in
2012, which is available online open-access at
http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/About+Us/Publications/Memoirs+of+the+Queensland+Museum/MQM+Vol+57#.WIdqoFMrLIU
 It has updated technical descriptions of Acropora and Isopora species
skeletons and at least one new species, plus a color photo of a living
colony of each species, but does not have the photos of coral skeletons
that the book has.  A third source is "Taxonomy, phylogeny and biogeography
of mushroom corals" by Bert Hoeksema, which has the best technical
descriptions of mushroom corals and plenty of photos of skeletons.  It is
available online open-access at
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236843116_Taxonomy_phylogeny_and_biogeography_of_mushroom_corals_Scleractinia_Fungiidae

Cheers,  Doug

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:19 AM, yogesh kumar <coralyogeeth at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear friends,
>

> Clarity needed for coral taxonomy, we followed in India based on Dr. Veron
> identification (Corals of the World), but in the WoRMS most of the genera
> are synonymised and changed.
>

> Which one we can follow?
>

> Will you please give suggestion in this regards.
>

> *Dr. J.S.Yogesh Kumar*
>
> Post Doctoral Fellow
>
> Zoological Survey of India
>
> Kolkata

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Last year was- again- the hottest year on record.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/sifter/last-year-was-again-hottest-record

99 Reasons 2016 was a good year.
https://medium.com/future-crunch/99-reasons-why-2016-has-been-a-great-year-for-humanity-8420debc2823#.9iznf7pfk
 Check items 42-59.

43. Global carbon emissions from the burning of fossil fuels did not grow
at all in 2016, for the third year in a row.  Scientific American
<http://futurecrunch.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6321feeb3ffd42b0e44a01616&id=18ef49d1e6&e=20926c12c5>

44. renewables now account for more newly installed capacity than any other
form of electricity in the world, including coal.. Gizmodo
<http://gizmodo.com/renewables-now-exceed-all-other-forms-of-new-power-gene-1788195297>