[Coral-List] #oceanoptimism, sort of...

Alex Brylske brylske at me.com
Thu Jan 26 09:11:31 EST 2017

A point being missed is there’s an important distinction between the diving “community” and diving “industry.” Indeed, many in the community (participants) might be very receptive to a broader coverage of coral reef issues in their entry-level training experience. However, I’m not quite so sure the same would be true of the industry once they realized that such training would belie the pretty images seen in their magazines and videos, and therefore expected by their uninitiated customers. I’ve never seen a group more adept at whistling past the graveyard.

I really do wish folks well in making this effort, but after 40 years in the industry—some of which trying to do exactly what you’re attempting—I just don’t see it happening.

Alex Brylske