[Coral-List] Caribbean Coral Restoration Webinar Series - Webinar 1

Caitlin Lustic clustic at TNC.ORG
Fri Jan 27 16:38:01 EST 2017

Good afternoon,

The first webinar of our series is a short two weeks away.  Our presenters have been working diligently to provide a thorough and useful overview of coral spawning research and larval propagation techniques.  This webinar will focus specifically on Caribbean coral species, but those of you working in other areas are welcome to join as well.  Based on your feedback, the webinar will be held Wednesday, February 8th from 10am-1pm.  If you haven't responded to the  survey, please FILL OUT FORM<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSepLuFUma7uVOxsLJZgMw1CZP74JTywOosZRYIO7uJw-xLCjw/viewform?c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link>, it isn't too late!  In fact, our presenters are still requesting more participation in the survey to help them make relevant information available following the webinar.

Agenda:

10 - 11am Presentation on coral spawning research and larval propagation

The presentation will cover the following topics:

-          The benefits of spawning research

-          The state of the science

-          Secrets to success in spawning work

-          Current research needs in the Caribbean

Presenter Bios:

Kristen Marhaver: Spawning research in Panama & Curacao for Scripps, UC Merced, and CARMABI, helped develop 'spawning paranoia' methods for rearing fragile species like Orbicella, led CARMABI project to tackle Dendrogyra spawning, isolating microbial settlement cues for coral larvae.

Valerie Chamberland: Spawning and restoration research for SECORE, CARMABI and the University of Amsterdam, expert in large-scale culturing, settlement, outplanting, and conducting experiments with settlers, especially for Acropora spp. and brain coral species, has outplanted Acropora spat that now spawn!

Nicole Fogarty: Spawning research in Belize, Panama, and Florida for FSU, Smithsonian, and NOVA Southeastern, expert in Acropora spawning, hybridization, and genetics, Orbicella species boundaries, gamete choice and gamete incompatibility, exploring the possible use of the hybrid species A. prolifera in restoration.

11 - 11:45am Question and answer with the presenters

12 - 1pm Discussion

-          What are the major technical limitations right now in research and scaling up?

-          What is each group planning to do this upcoming season and beyond?

-          What do we consider the major priorities for our field(s) as a whole?

-          What kind of help, coordination, collaboration is most critical to put on place?

Please register for the webinar in advance at the link below, and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Please register for Coral Spawning Research and Larval Propagation on Feb 8, 2017 10:00 AM EST at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2598467414062346241

United States: +1 (213) 929-4221

Organizer - unmuted

Access Code: 972-452-660