[Coral-List] A Truth Too Big to Ignore

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:46:31 EDT 2017

to Coral-Listers interested in Goliath Groupers

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has proposed to open a "limited take" on the critically endangered Goliath Grouper. This proposal is not supported by science.

The "limited take" will allow the killing of up to 400 Goliaths of breeding size over a 4-year period. If approved, this take will basically destroy the new spawning aggregations currently forming in east Florida. Such spawning aggregations were fished to extinction in the 1970s-1980s.

Here's an open letter to FWC I wrote in my blog on the issue of ignoring science when proposing the killing of endangered species and what it means for Goliath Groupers

https://grouperluna.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/a-truth-too-big-to-ignore/

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Blog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.com