[Coral-List] whats really killing the corals

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 6 15:31:04 EDT 2017

Hi Steve.

To-day's news contains "90% of Americans do not know there is a scientific consensus on global warming."

Advertising works. Budweiser (a shockingly ordinary beer) is the #1 seller in Ontario, Canada. Why? Because they advertise at sporting events.

"They" have way more advertising money than "we" do.

Some time in the early 2000's, I was asked by NOAA to come to Key Largo and help evaluate the Florida reef-monitoring programs. FMRI presented their description of disaster. In the report, I wrote "This is a regional mass extinction." That phrase was removed. I said, "monitoring has worked. It has shown the rate of decline. Now there needs to be something done to reduce the stresses." The evidence for land-based stress was overwhelming, but fixing those would have meant going up against...big bucks.

Fixing the atmosphere...whoo. Up against even bigger bucks.

No, I won't apologize to people who drink Bud.

Mike