[Coral-List] Bob Ginsburg's passing

Ellen Prager pragere at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 10 13:26:55 EDT 2017

Thanks for posting this Gene.

Bob was indeed a rare breed as a scientist, educator, and mentor. I feel fortunate to have been part of the Fisher Island gang in graduate school as his student. Not only did I learn a tremendous amount about carbonate geology and coral reefs, but as you say, his “So What?” questions were infamous and enlightening. Even when I thought he’d slept through a talk he’d be the first person to ask an insightful and thoughtful question. I am often reminded of another one of his questions to me on writing: “Are you sure that is the word you want to use there?” His lesson: Every word matters in writing. Then there were the field trips and sponsors meetings. It was a wonderful place and time to be a graduate student - even just sitting on the sidelines listening to you all discuss and debate new as well as old ideas. He was a true gem!

It is with great fondness and much gratitude that I say so long to Bob!

Ellen

Dr. Ellen Prager
Earth2Ocean, Inc
@elprager