[Coral-List] Artificial reef - cement or metallic /w electrical stimulation?

McManus, John W jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Jul 11 16:53:13 EDT 2017

There is a literature on the subject of using electrical current to enhance coral growth and survival. One such paper, which cites several previous ones,  is:

Sabater and Yap 2004 Long-term effects of induced mineral accretion on growth, survival and corallite properties of Porites cylindrica Dana. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 272:131– 146

Here are some quotes which highlight some key results:

"P. cylindrica transplants had a survival rate of 86% after 6 months of exposure to mineral accretion, which was higher than that of the untreated corals (70%)."

"Through time, the cathode becomes saturated by the accreted minerals resulting in a decreasing interaction between the two electrodes until the accretion stops. Thus, the effect of mineral accretion on growth dissipates through time. This explains why significant increases in longitudinal growth were found only for the first two bi-monthly intervals during the mineral accretion phase after which growth rates were no longer significantly
different over time. The mineral accretion treatment did not have a significant effect on growth at the end of the 12-month experiment. Growth enhancement, therefore, occurred only when the electric field was present which caused an increase in the dissolved mineral ions around the coral transplants utilized for skeleton formation and mineral accretion for
substrate formation."

Note that these were not exactly the same structures used by Goreau.

Cheers!

John