[Coral-List] Symposium on Effective Conservation @ICCB2017

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 09:09:57 EDT 2017

Dear Elisa,

By international and national laws coral reefs should be protected
from local and global threats. Justification of unsustainable
development projects with high mortality "restoration projects" in the
current scenario of climate change would not help to "save the natural
coral reefs". You also concluded that.

The scientific community should be encouraged and empowered to present
their knowldege to preserve the coral reefs that are refuges of
climate change and that are resilient to local threats. Being optimist
means being proactive to promote effective conservation that should be
included in the local and regional plants of development. If that
happens unsustainable developers with still hire scientists to advice
them to find antohter alternatives and to guide them not to destroy
coral reefs.

The symposium is based on case studies.  One of those, the Varadero
Resilient reef that is about to be destroyed by a dredging plan and
the destruction is about to be justified with a "restoration project"
that will consist in breaking very few coral colonies from the 10000
located at South of Cartagena Bay to place them in Horno, where
already the mortality is high and none threats are controlled since as
it is an unprotected area. We visited yesterday the area and verified
the reports of our volunteer reporters within our citizen science
program involving scuba diving operators.

Join the petition
https://www.change.org/p/anla-minambienteco-luisernestogl-causasciudadanas-salvemosvaradero-no-a-un-canal-sobre-un-arrecife-%C3%BAnico-en-el-mundo?source_location=minibar