[Coral-List] Effects of nuclear testing on coral reefs

Nicole Crane nicrane at cabrillo.edu
Fri Jul 21 12:14:22 EDT 2017

Super interesting.  I will point out a couple of things:

James Stewart (a colleague of mine) was the Diving Safety Officer, not the Dive Master, for Scripps. I know that seems picky, but it would have been important for him.

In determining ‘safe’ levels of any potentially toxic or damaging agent, its important to consider what that means.  Seeing fish and sharks swimming happily around, and seeing corals grow does not necessarily mean the ecosystem has not suffered some long term ‘damage’ however we may define that.  We have been very wrong in the past with our assessment of safe levels of things, only to see them accumulate in the environment (apparently not a problem based on ‘safe’ levels) and come back to cause real problems. Imagine an outside entity evaluating human populations…let’s say this entity sees a community of people, plenty of kids etc.  The fact that they are all surviving and reproducing might be the determining factor for ‘healthy’ or ‘recovred', but what if they are all severely compromised in another way that the observer doesn’t see because they don’t understand to look for it?  Of course that wouldn’t happen with humans (at least not if its obvious), but we don’t really know enough about happily swimming sharks and fish to really make that assessment.  So I would caution how we determine ‘healthy’, and at least recognize our own deficiencies in our determinations.  Its not because we understood toxicity, or accumulation, for example, that some seemingly benign flame retardants for safety have ended up in very high concentrations in killer whales off California, suggesting problematic bioaccumulation in our ecosystems…

Not saying these studies discussed below are wrong or not worthy of optimism at all.  Just saying we should always have perspective

Nicole