[Coral-List] Coral Reef Insurance

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 21:40:07 EDT 2017

Steve,
    I don't think you're being too cynical.

    First, they seem to be directing the insurance only towards hurricanes
and storms.  These are in large part natural (though predicted to get
stronger due to global warming), and coral reefs have recovered from them
repeatedly, for millions of years.  Of course they assume that the corals
can grow back with help.  They didn't talk about either disease, which has
killed most of the Acropora in the Western Atlantic that forms the shallow
reef that protects the hotels, nor mass coral bleaching which is going to
start killing them more often in larger numbers until they can't regrow
even with help.  The insurance sounds good, but somebody's going to loose
out big time when bleaching is so often that corals can't grow, and there
will mostly just be a pile of dead rubble.
      Nothing like only paying attention to a mouse when there is an
elephant in the room.

Cheers,  Doug

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Steve Mussman <sealab at earthlink.net> wrote:

> So I've seen this story pop up repeatedly on social media and I can't help
> but think that the headline is misleading. Seems to me that this enterprise
> is more focused on protecting hotels and beaches from storm surge rather
> than it is about conserving local coral reef ecosystems.
>
> Is this a sign that I have become too cynical?
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-20/a-
> coral-reef-gets-an-insurance-policy-of-its-own
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Inaction on climate change risks leaving future generations 530 trillion
dollars in debt.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/inaction-climate-change-risks-leaving-151425043.html

Study: heat waves predicted to make some countries uninhabitable by 2100 if
global warming not controlled.  Mora, Camilo et 17 al. 2017.  Global risk
of deadly heat. Nature Climate Change.
http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/mora/Publications/Mora%20059.pdf

Study: Stopping global warming only way to save coral reefs.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-stopping-global-warming-only-way-save-coral-180833431.html