[Coral-List] corals and acidification

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:05:58 EDT 2017

A short popular article based on the Science article I posed a link to
yesterday.

Corals can still grow their "bones" in acid waters.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/06/corals-can-still-grow-their-bones-acid-waters?utm_campaign=news_daily_2017-06-01&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=1359866

Open access.

If I remember, the abstract in the original paper said they "may" be able
to calcify in more acidic (less basic) water, they didn't say they "can."
 There are certainly plenty of papers showing corals having reduced
calcification in lab tests in lower pH water aren't there?

Cheers,  Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant

phone 1 684 622-7084

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Study: Stopping global warming only way to save coral reefs.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-stopping-global-warming-only-way-save-coral-180833431.html

Goodby smokestacks: Startup invents zero-emission fossil fuel power.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/goodbye-smokestacks-startup-invents-zero-emission-fossil-fuel-power?utm_campaign=news_daily_2017-05-24&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=1345339

A roadmap for rapid decarbonization
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6331/1269?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2017-03-23&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=1233226

Virus-free.