[Coral-List] Fwd: Re: Reef tourism: Muck Diving

John Ware jware at erols.com
Mon Jun 5 15:44:16 EDT 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Coral-List] Reef tourism: Muck Diving
Date: 	Mon, 5 Jun 2017 12:43:36 -0700
From: 	John Ware <jware at erols.com>
To: 	Maarten De Brauwer <maarten.debrauwer at gmail.com>

Hello to Mark and List,

My wife and I have been diving the "muck diving capital of the world"
(Lembeh Straits, Indonesia) for ~10 years.  In fact, we were there ~2
weeks ago.

Things have changed.  Where there were once 2 or 3 dive 'resorts' there
are now at least 10.  Where we would never seen another boat at a dive
site, sometimes there were three or four linked together.

In addition, the quality of the divers we saw from some of these newly
established resorts was horrendous.  The place we stay never has more
than 4 divers to a guide and usually only two.  But we saw groups of 12
- 15 all mugging the same octopus (and each other ) at the same time.

Also, the quality and quantity of those little known creatures seems to
have declined markedly since our last trip 4 years ago.

I know this is the coral list and it's not coral reefs, but may be of
interest anyway.

John

     *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
     *                         President                         *
     *                      SeaServices, LLC                     *
     *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
     *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
     *                       928 478-6358                        *
     *                      jware at erols.com                      *
     *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
     *                Former Member of the Council:              *
     *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
     *                                          _                *
     *                                         |                 *
     *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
     *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org